02 January 2011

The Priesthood

As I sat in the back row of a ward I was in for over a year, 6 years ago, I heard my nephew being blessed by a friend of my brother's family.

While it was tragic and sad that his father, my brother wasn't performing the blessing, it was also hopeful and happy. I listened intently as a really good friend of my bother blessed him instead. He blessed Kona with the strength to be an example to his family, to be worthy to hold the Priesthood and then to serve a mission and marry in the temple.

During the blessing I was holding his older brother and I whisphered (shhhh, no juding that I waS talking during the prayer!) that I had those same hopes and prayers for him, Aukai. I told him that his baby brother was getting a blessing from Heavenly Father and that I knew what a great example he would be, how he would grow strong in the gospel and hold the Priesthood and serve a mission for the Lord and then marry a bride in the temple.

After the blessing came the sacrament. Aukai wanted to color and I told him that when the Deacons sat down and were finished helping the Savior with his work, he could. I then decided that wasn't enough - I should explain that when the Savior was about to die, he fed his apostles the Sacrament and now, we take the Sacrament on Sunday's to remember Jesus and we do this with the help of the those who hold the Priesthood. I then talked to him about how in just a few years he would be able to help the Savior too by receiving the Priesthood and passing His sacrament. He said he wanted to help the Savior and that during the Sacrament we could think about Jesus and Heavenly Father. I was so thrilled to be able to share that moment with him. I think he "got" it. I know I did. I don't think it's ever too early to talk about the mantel of the Priesthood that men will bear and how important it is for them to use it wisely for His purposes because we NEED them!!! To make and keep our covenants.

Love the little men in your lives and train them up to be great daddies and husbands. Every woman needs a GREAT man. (And vise versa!)

1 comment:

Maleen said...

No little men here, but I sure want to teach my girls to respect the priesthood.

Thanks for all your sweet comments. They always make my day.