22 December 2009

Matt's Story



I hope Matt doesn't mind that I'm telling his story - or my story about him.

I just love this kid. He was there for me - we bonded over whole chicken and a walk around the pond at our annual retreat going on 6 years ago now. He was new with the council and I was in dire straits. I was going through a horrible divorce and he was alone really for the first time in a new place. He was a good listener and a great friend.

One day he called me and asked me about Joseph Smith in an obscure way. I can't remember the entire question but I do know it was odd. I asked him what he was reading and he said the biography of Joseph Smith's mother. I said, that was a good choice but did he have a Book of Mormon. He said no and I said you will tomorrow morning. I scrambled - I'm embarassed to say that I didn't have one at home or in the car already - but he had one on his desk by the time he arrived the next morning. I asked him if he would join us in reading the Book of Mormon by the end of the year as President Hinckley had asked us to. He said that he would. I don't know if I put anything inside or if I wrote a little note...I'm sure that I would've about what knowing about the Restoration meant to me and how grateful I am for the Savior.

He has many, many friends in the Gospel that had been laying that ground work for a long, long time. He joined the church - and I spoke about the blessings of attending the temple at his baptism. Also, he had standing room only at his baptism which is pretty intense considering he moved during the time he took the discussion and he got baptized in the stake where the missionaries were living and everyone - from friends and family to both single's wards attened. It was awesome.

The same was true this Saturday when he was sealed to his sweetheart Molly. Standing room only in the sealing room. You know Matt, I love you man but when he called yesterday to tell me thank you...we were both tearing up (and I was at work - he was in the privacy of his car) but all I can say is you are welcome. I hope that you and Molly have a HUGE family that bring you joy and happinesses into the eternities. Your sealing was amazing and beautiful. Your sealer did a wonderful job in explaining how it is the crowning ordinance of the Gospel plan.

Now the real work begins - but I'm sooo happy for you two. I couldn't help but keep talking about how excited I was/am for you to all my friends. They probably wondered why but knowing the eternal blessings of the sealing and purpose of families helps us know that it's not just a temporary thing.

You are and have been a true friend and huge blessing to me!! I love you man!

Sharon

1 comment: