07 February 2009

Shooting, SHooting, Every where...

Oh, I've been looking forward to this day for SOOOOO long! I got some firearms, forever more known as "guns" but I don't belong to a shooting club or range and I live in town (albeit population 1500) so I couldn't shoot them for like 2 months. Finally I had a few hours and set up a time to go shoot out at my friends property in Yamhill. Funny thing is, she had us shooting against a dirt backdrop but it wasn't really very high and I had never shot my handgun before so we were all over the place the first few times. The neighbor called them (ok, he's like 1000 yards away) but said he was dodging bullets. I thought it was too close but hey, not my house, lol.


Anyway, we moved it away from there, down a hill into what they affectionately call the "pit" or their personal dump, lol. I hope I'm not getting anyone in trouble here. They live on tons of acerage (it's just all hilled/valleyed). We had so much fun. It was like 4 of us sometimes and then Jody came out and wow, who knew she was such a good shot.


I took the scope off my riffle and hit every single time. Hand gun, still not so much.


When I was about to leave, Jody told me that she had gotten a letter that am, just about 20 minutes before I got there from a person who had abused her daughter. Talk about shocking and devestating. And Jody went about being a most gracious host. She is amazing....truly. I just love her to pieces and am so grateful for her sweet friendship.

I want to share the gospel with her and her family and will. I am doing it slowly and yesterday shared that so many members of the church are finding the gospel as adults and have, u know, transgressions in their pasts before they find the gospel. When she first agreed to work with me as the commissioner, she said look, u think I'm going to hell and I think the same thing. I think now we have a little better of a working relationship, at least I'd like to think so. I asked her if she had taken her daughter to see their pastor and she said no and I said why? That's what they are for. To have reinforcement that it's not her fault. To get assistance with counseling, which they cannot afford. Geesh, the Lord's plan really is better!

Court of Honor today, it's Scout Sunday and I get to wear pants to church, lol! And I've been asked to speak in another ward on Scouting and how it brings boys closer to the Savior. I'm very excited because I found a talk by the prophet that I'll be using.

Gotta run!

Sharon

1 comment:

Karen Nihipali Wicke said...

Have your friend talk to the bishop where she lives. She doesn't have to be a member of the church to talk to him, it is even free! He'll be able to share his testimony with her and identify the spirit with her too which will soften her heart a lot!
Pants to church, I'm in nursery, you'd think that they'd allow that to happen as we are running around and playing games. Boy its fun!
Talk later!