24 July 2008

Sweet Southern Boy

So...folks. If you didn't know, I was in a car wreck (it does no good to claim it was an accident afterall) and so I've been borrowing various automobiles. One belongs to my bishop and his family. When I pick it up he tells me that it leaks oil and that I should check the oil when I fill up. I don't let the car get below 1/2 a tank so I struggled a little bit with checking it. But I did put it on the calendar and checked it just yesterday AM, after the car had been off all night. It looked fine so off I left for camp and then Portland. About 20 miles towards PDX the check engine light came on and I was like, uh oh. I pulled over to check the oil. I couldn't get the oil cap off. I went into a nearby restraunt and a nice young man came out to help me but he couldn't get it off either. He told me where the nearest jiffy lube was (basically I had just passed it) and so I pull in and am so embarassed but I can't get the oil cap off. Within about 5 seconds they have it off, have a good giggle about me and off I go to put oil in without them seeing me. yes, a little sneaky, even I admit.

So off I go. i get maybe another 10 miles and I realize things are not at all well in Saturn. So I pull over at a gas station and buy more oil. Put it in, but I want to wait until the car has cooled down a bit so I can accurately see the level and all that jazz. So...I'm sitting waiting for the car to cool down and a nice man comes up to me and asks me if I've got things all figured out. I tell him what I do and don't know and he begins checking all my fluids, etc. He adds more oil (2 more quarts) and tells me I'm lucky that the car didn't explode. The odd thing is that I didn't think that the oil was low at all bc I checked it that morning. Anyway, he was so sweet (the nice southern boy who stopped to help me) and at first I thought that maybe he worked at the gas station. So I asked he did or if he was a good samaratin and he said a samaratin and that if his Mrs. was in trouble, he would hope that someone would stop to help her. He wasn't going to give up any information about himself so I wrote down his license plate a phone number from his truck and called the number and left a message. I hope it gets to him or he gets lunch out of it for sure.

Hugs,

No comments: